I was reading an article about rumor of iPad Mini 2 from International Business Times (ibtimes.com) mentioning typical wishes of what consumers like to see in the new iPad Mini 2. The list reflect average consumers focus on "more" on the hardware specification and pricing:
- Lightweight and portable
- Robust system and memory
- Retina display
- Reasonable pricing
- Faster access to WiFi settings, battery/power management
Impactful strategic win usually does not come from such increase in hardware specification. I am not against it but it's only foundational and kind of like a must do thing in your business plan but they are not the main reasons for your big win. Strategic win usually comes from something within and more into the software / consumption process. For example, if iPhone does not have a new "fat figure" touch screen user interface or iPad does not have an iTunes, I bet they wouldn't be in today's leading position of the new generation of smartphone and tablets.
- make them do less to complete an existing task (like they don't have to go to a store to buy a song) or
- we enable user to do new tasks that they have never dream of before (like listening radio with your phone).
- Can we do the same thing faster or more impactful but in the existing way?
- Can we change the existing way and use a smarter way?
- In doing 1 & 2 Can we apply our products in new usage (like using your pen a phone stand)
- In doing so can we expand our target market segment?
- How quickly can competitors copy our product?